Support Resources, COVID Protections and Financial Supports

Unlimited Job-Protected Leave 

Employees have the right to take this leave if they are not performing the duties of their position because of various COVID-19 related reasons, including caring for a child that is sick, is isolating or whose school is closed. Sick notes are not required. This leave also provides job protection for those that are taking time off to get vaccinated (including boosters).

There is no end date set for this leave.

Paid Sick Days

Our Worker Income Protection Benefit provides workers with three provincial paid sick days. When combined with the federal program, workers in Ontario have access to up to 33 paid sick days. These days can be used to take time off work for reasons related to COVID-19, including symptoms of COVID-19, close contact with a positive case and vaccination. Workers do not have to submit claims to get paid for our provincial days.

They take the days off from work and their employers are required to pay them the wages they would have earned had they not taken the leave, up to $200 a day for up to three days. Employers are responsible for submitting claims to the provincial government should they wish to get reimbursed. This program is extended until July 31, 2022.

MLTSD Support Resources for Workers

If you think that the employer has not followed the ESA, you can file a claim with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development using the claim form on the ministry’s website at Please be aware that there are time limits to filing.

For more information, please visit the Ministry of Labour Training and Skills Development website at of employment.

Workers who wish to discuss concerns they have regarding worker rights and employer policies regarding vaccinations may wish to discuss with their labour union (if they have one) or the  Human Rights Legal Support Centre online or toll free at 1-866-625-5179.

The Ontario Human Rights Commission provides some additional information on their website which may be of interest OHRC Qs and As.

Information on how any worker in Ontario may file a complaint or request a health and safety investigation (compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Act – OHSA) from an inspector with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development, can be found below and may be shared with the constituent. This can be done anonymously;

Health and Safety Contact Centre